Friday, October 7, 2011

We're Here!

After a very long journey, we made it to Kona!  Our two five hour plane trips went every well, and the three hour layover in Los Angeles was not too bad either.  

The view from our second segment, LA to Kona, was great.  I thought a lot about the water cycle while I was above the oceans and the clouds. :-)  I took a lot of pictures of the cloud formations! Flying over ocean for five hours straight really made me realize that the amount of water on Earth is incredible (after all, 75% of Earth is water)!

The view coming into Kona was breathtaking.  The variations in the land are amazing; one shore is purely cliffs while other parts are beautiful beaches.  Although there is a lot of greenery, much of the island is actually desert.  When we landed and were able to see the lava which was unlike anything I have every seen.  It is more beautiful in person than I imagined.  

After we left the airport, we went to the opening ceremony and had dinner.  The food was wonderful and the authentic, traditional Hawaiian performances were outstanding.  The venue was radiating energy (so much that it was actually a little scary for Nolan, with the loud drums and chanting).  Toward the end, it began to rain heavily so the event ended early.

All in all, by the time we arrived at our condo, it was almost a 24 hour journey.  Nolan did fall asleep at the dinner but I did not.  We're both doing great though and we cannot wait for tomorrow's big race.  

I will post race details later and in the meantime, I am also going to try to upload photos to Picasa.  Here are a few for now:
Getting excited to get on the plane.


Thank goodness for the iPad!



Nolan saying "cheese."







At least he didn't mind getting rained on!


No comments:

Post a Comment